Gorgeous, strong, and open-minded Portuguese women make devoted and caring partners, yet the US issued only 31 fiance visas to Portuguese mail order brides in 2022. Today we invite you to discover what makes Portuguese ladies special and decide if you should consider seeking a Portugal girl for marriage.
3 best dating sites to meet Portuguese women
What are Portuguese women like?
When choosing between Vietnamese, Colombian, Russian, and Portuguese brides, you have to account for personal preferences, as there’s no universal ideal. We encourage you to learn more about Portugal and its people to decide if you should pursue a relationship. For example, when seeking Portuguese mail order brides, expect to encounter the following:
- Tough and resilient character. Portuguese women are free-spirited and open about their feelings, but they can handle tough situations and recover from troubles to get on with their lives.
- Simple and fun dating. Portugal women are warm and open-minded, not afraid to receive and give compliments, so dating them seems easier to foreign men than dating in other countries.
- Strong relationships and families. Portuguese women are loyal and value their relationships, which is why so many Europeans believe Portugal is a great place to start a family.
- Proud of their heritage and traditions. The Portuguese are a proud nation, and they expect foreigners to respect their culture and customs.
- Occasional poor lifestyle choices. Despite living in one of the sunniest countries in Europe, many beautiful Portuguese women ignore sunscreen while at the same time indulging in smoking, as cigarettes are relatively cheap in Portugal.
So if you like strong-willed, open, and loyal ladies and don’t mind minor inconveniences, Portuguese women for marriage might be the right choice.
Portuguese mail order bride catalog
Where & how to meet a Portuguese woman for marriage?
In Portugal, 13.9% of singles use online dating sites and apps to forge relationships, and the number is expected to keep growing. It only takes a few steps to leverage this opportunity to connect with potential Portuguese wives.
- Step 1. Create an account on a dating site and make it presentable with personal details and photos.
- Step 2. Alternate between matching tools and search filters to find potential matches.
- Step 3. Reach out via likes or messages to gauge mutual interest.
- Step 4. Chat and schedule video and audio calls to develop a strong bond with one or two Portuguese brides.
- Step 5. Set up an in-person meeting in Portugal, the US, or a third country and go from there.
- A deep and diverse dating pool makes it easy to find the right Portugal girl for marriage
- Search filters help sort ladies by country, age, and multiple other parameters
- Dating site fees are relatively affordable, even with intense everyday use
- Live chat isn’t enough to build a strong long-term relationship
- A face-to-face meeting is a must if you’re serious about getting a Portuguese wife
- No dating site is 100% safe from fake profiles and scammers
Therefore, while there are certain downsides to online dating, its merits far outweigh the potential drawbacks, considering you can sign up and test most platforms for free.
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
Dating Portuguese women in the US 🇺🇸
There are only 1.3 million Portuguese immigrants and people of Portuguese descent (0.4% of the US population). And while there are relatively large communities in New York, Massachusetts, Florida, and California, finding a single Portuguese lady to date locally can be challenging. Besides, there are some pros and cons to account.
- Dating Portuguese women in the US is cheaper than traveling to Portugal
- Offline relationships can evolve faster than online dating
- Gauging compatibility and relationship potential is easier when you meet often
- The Portuguese population is pretty sparse, and so is the dating pool
- There’s no way to tell Portuguese girls from locals unless they speak Portuguese
- Dating Portuguese women locally is just as challenging as dating American girls
If your city has a robust Portuguese population, you should look into cultural and language exchange events, ethnic stores, and restaurants. But you may have better luck searching for local Portuguese women online before meeting in person.
Traveling to Portugal 🇵🇹
If you prefer traditional dating to online services, and your city doesn’t have a large enough Portuguese population, traveling to Portugal to find your future wife is the obvious choice. However, like the two previous approaches, it has an equal share of benefits and drawbacks.
- Big cities are home to thousands of single Portuguese women
- Meeting in person is a great way to assess chemistry and compatibility
- Immersion into the local culture will help you decide if a Portuguese bride is right for you
- Traveling to Portugal is pretty expensive, especially in the high season
- Finding and getting to know single Portuguese girls takes a long time
- It can be hard to tell Portuguese ladies from tourists from other countries
👉 So while in theory, traveling to Portugal seems like the perfect choice, it can only work if you have the time and money to spare on a prolonged stay because one week won’t be enough. To make it work, we suggest combining online dating with travel. This way, you’ll have a few potential partners in mind and use your vacation time efficiently to get to know them better.
How much does it cost to get a Portuguese mail order bride?
There’s no telling how much you’ll spend dating a Portuguese lady, but we can provide a rough estimate based on typical spending categories.
- Dating sites’ expenses: From $100 per month
- One week travel: About $700 for roundtrip flights + around $1,000 for accommodations
- Visa and documents: Around $2,300 for government fees
- Wedding: From $15,000 for the ceremony and reception in the US or up to $150 for a marriage license
- Total: From $19,000 or $4,150 without a wedding ceremony
If you discount the wedding spending, you’ll notice that dating a Portuguese girl isn’t much more expensive than dating locally. And if you’re smart about your expenses and planning, you can further bring the cost down.
What makes Portuguese girls look for husbands abroad?
Marriage numbers are up in Portugal, and 6.4% of the newlyweds of 2021 (up from 5.3% in 2011) declared their plans to live abroad. So the idea of intermarriage is growing in popularity as Portuguese women seek:
- Adventure. Portuguese ladies are well-educated and worldly, so traveling and dating abroad is a common occurrence, especially among younger women looking for excitement and adventure.
- Diversity. Portuguese women are proud of their origins but are also welcoming towards other cultures, traditions, and values and open to adopting them as their own.
- Marital bliss. Although infidelity in Portugal is relatively low and Portuguese men make good partners, some local women may prefer American men who are often even nicer and more respectful than locals.
- Career prospects. The factor-weighted gender pay gap exceeds 20% in Portugal, so ambitious Portuguese ladies may seek better employment options after marrying abroad.
As you see, unlike ladies from other countries, Portuguese mail order brides are not driven by desperation or poor socioeconomic standing. Instead, they consider international dating an exciting and beneficial adventure.
Common myths about Portuguese women
You may not realize it, but you probably have a few wrong preconceptions that could ruin your chances with any Portuguese mail order bride. Let’s start with the most offensive and persistent myth of all.
- ❌ Portuguese and Spanish women are the same.
Busted: Saying so is the fastest way of getting a Portuguese woman angry. Portugal is an independent and proud country with its own language, traditions, and culture. Just like you wouldn’t equate Canada and the US, you shouldn’t do so with Portugal and Spain.
- ❌ Portuguese women are hairy and often have mustaches.
Busted: Despite their smoking Southern European looks, Portuguese women do not have beards, mustaches, or monobrows. Many, like Daniela Ruah, Daniela Melchior, and Lúcia Moniz, are recognized for their beauty globally.
- ❌ The Portuguese are a lazy nation.
Busted: Like most Southern European countries, Portugal values a midday siesta; however, that’s rather a reflection of local climate and traditional values than a sign of unwillingness to work hard.
- ❌ Portuguese women are always late.
Partially true: The Portuguese are never in a hurry, so being 15 or 20 minutes late to a date isn’t considered rude or disrespectful. However, when it comes to business appointments, locals are more punctual.
Remember that these are nothing but outdated stereotypes when you go looking for a Portuguese bride, and your chances of winning her heart will improve.
With all these new insights, the likelihood of finding your perfect Portuguese wife is higher than ever. And you can choose the most efficient and comfortable approach to finding and dating single Portuguese ladies. Besides, if you choose to start your journey with online dating sites, you’ll be able to start chatting with potential matches within a few minutes.
Yes, Portuguese brides are legal as long as you all follow the standard immigration procedure. The US and Portugal recognize international marriages, so you can legally host a ceremony in either country.
Yes, there are thousands of Portuguese women seeking serious relationships and marriage with Americans. It can take a while to find a compatible match, but niche dating sites make the search easier. And the number of success stories found online is a testament to the effectiveness of international online dating.
Portuguese women have a very high English proficiency, making the country number 8 among 35 European states. Therefore, you should have no trouble overcoming a language barrier when dating Portuguese girls.