Americans always considered European women a different breed, almost akin to aliens from another planet with weird customs and social norms that don’t make sense in the US. Still, European countries have long been a source of wives for Americans. So today, we’ll take you on a tour of the best European countries to find a wife and cover their most prominent differences.
1. Ukraine 🇺🇦
Within the last couple of years, Ukraine became the best Eastern European country to find a wife, as over 600 Ukrainian women came to America to get married in 2022 alone. The biggest country in Europe is home to the deepest subway station in the world and the site of one of the world’s worst nuclear disasters (Chornobyl). But there’s more to the country than that, for example:
- Freedom is the ultimate value in Ukrainian culture. After living for centuries under the Russian Empire’s rule and decades under the Soviet regime, Ukrainians are among the most free-spirited nations in the world, which they’ve recently proven by opposing the Russian invasion of 2022-2023.
- Folklore and national symbols are as powerful as ever in Ukraine. Although people do not wear embroidered shirts (vyshyvanka) in everyday life, most people still own at least one to put on for special occasions. Christmas and Easter traditions, such as painted eggs (pysanka), have also seen a revival throughout the country’s 30+ years of independence.
- Double holidays are a thing in Ukraine. New Year’s Eve and Christmas are celebrated twice in many families on December 25 and January 7 and December 31 and January 13, respectively, as the country transitioned from Julian to the Gregorian calendar, but kept some of the significant dates.
- Ukrainians hate anything Russia-related. Although for many Ukrainians, Russia was a friendly state for decades, but the views changed in 2014 as a result of the Crimea annexation and deteriorated into pure hatred in 2022 as Russian rockets attacked sleeping Ukrainian cities at 4 in the morning.
So if you’re excited to meet Ukrainian girls, learn more about their culture and plight, and make one of them your wife, dating platforms like should be on your radar.
2. Poland 🇵🇱
Polish ladies are among the most overlooked among Eastern European women. Only 50 of them came to the US to get married to Americans in 2022. Yet Poland is the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus, Marie Curie, and Pope John Paul II, as well as the world’s second constitution (adopted in 1791) and the oldest restaurant in Europe (Piwnica Świdnicka, est. in 1273). Here are some more interesting facts about Poland and Polish people:
- Poland is fairly conservative compared to other countries in Western and Eastern Europe. Although not all of the population is Catholic, many still share the Church’s views on same-sex marriage, abortion, and soft drug legalization. At the same time, younger generations are much more progressive.
- Polish people are flexible and solve problems as they come. Nothing is set in stone in Poland, even traffic laws, as Polish people find new and creative ways to resolve their issues with each other and the powers that be.
- Polish weddings are huge and elaborate affairs. While Poles are pretty reserved in their daily lives, weddings bring out their playful nature and encourage them to act silly and enjoy themselves. They also like drawing out the wedding party to the second day after the wedding (poprawiny).
If you’re excited to meet Polish women and make one of them your wife, international dating sites such as are a great place to start your cross-ocean romance. And we’re sure you’ll learn much more about Poland as you chat with local ladies.
3. Italy 🇮🇹
Since only 92 Italian ladies came to the US to marry Americans, the country certainly deserves a closer look. Not only is Italy home to New Yorkers’ favorite pizza, but it’s also the direct descendent of the Great Roman Empire that controlled a huge chunk of the European continent, including the British Isles. The Italian language is considered one of the most beautiful and melodious in the world. But what makes Italy the best European country to find a wife? Here are some facts about the country and its people that are evidence enough:
- Italian patriotism is pretty localized. The country’s history of internal rivalry and warfare resulted in campanilismo—people’s devotion to their town or region rather than the country as a whole. Local patriotism is further encouraged by the diverse conditions across different parts of the country. At the same time, women dating foreign men often highlight their pride in being Italian.
- A good image is everything to Italians. Their goal is to project a good image (fare la bella figura) in everything, from manners and behavior to clothing and cigarette brands. This may come off as a bit materialistic, but this trait also makes Italians polite, respectful, and elegant.
- Engagement, marriage, and divorce are taken seriously. Young couples can wait years before getting married, and married people must be separated for at least twelve months before they are granted a divorce.
Does it look like Italian ladies can make perfect wives? If you think so, dating sites like Italian girls eager to find American boyfriends and husbands.have plenty of single
4. Romania 🇷🇴
Romania is home to the world’s heaviest building (The Palace of Parliament), the tallest wooden Church, and the first European city lit by electrical street lights. Besides, it’s also the birthplace of the legend of Count Dracula, even if his real-life prototype was nowhere near as sinister. So, while Romania may not be the most popular among Eastern European countries when it comes to finding wives, it deserves its place in the spotlight.
- Many Romans emigrate in search of better wages. One in five Romanians leaves the country looking for better employment and living conditions. Still, many send money back to their relatives remaining in Romania.
- Nepotism and favors rule social interactions. Small bribes are an accepted way of cutting through the red tape and taming the deep-set bureaucracy across all aspects of life in Romania, from getting into a good university to getting out of a traffic fine.
- Engagements may involve monetary transactions. Some families, especially in the Roma Gabor community, will expect men to provide payment before accepting his marriage suit, though the practice isn’t common throughout the country.
If you choose Romania as your prime destination for meeting Slavic women, start your search with international dating platforms like, which offer free registration and great communication tools.
5. Sweden 🇸🇪
Sweden is by no means a leader among European countries if we only account for ladies who come to the US to marry Americans. Their homeland is the originator of nicotine gum, one of the most gorgeous subways in the world, as well as the importer of waste of Norway, as only 1% of waste in the country is headed towards the landfills, while the rest is either recycled, composted, or turned into energy.
If you’re intrigued to learn more, here are some core concepts that set Swedish ladies apart from other European women:
- Lagom as the way of life. Moderation in everything, from clothing choice to food consumption and even national healthcare, is a concept that sets Swedes apart from many European nations. As a direct consequence of lagom, boasting is considered taboo in Sweden, as standing out is often frowned upon.
- Privacy is universally respected. Unlike Italians and other Southern European nations, Swedes respect privacy in public places and never raise their voices. In fact, no one will even sit next to you on public transport if other seats are available. In the same vein, people take a long time to warm up to strangers, and they don’t disclose too much personal information.
- Relationships are often informal. Non-marital cohabitation (sambo) is common among straight and LGBTQ+ couples and is a socially accepted practice. Many couples only marry after having a child together instead of formalizing their relationship before moving in together. At the same time, divorces are accepted and aren’t frowned upon.
If you think your future wife is waiting for you somewhere in Sweden, online dating platforms like can help you find the most likely candidates and start a relationship.
The first international marriages in America involved mail order brides from all across Europe, and the tradition is very much alive. So, while dating and marrying foreign women can be a bit overwhelming and challenging, the benefits far outweigh the potential drawbacks. Armed with the basics about five popular European destinations for finding foreign wives, you can now choose the right country to find your happily ever after.